5-Layer Mexican Dip
(from Ellie Krieger)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, preferably low-sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups corn kernels (10-ounce box frozen corn)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 ripe avocados
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced (about 2 cups)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallion
- 1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeno pepper, optional
- ¾ cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar
1.Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until they soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
2.Put half of the onion mixture into a food processor with the black beans, chipotle pepper, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, cumin, water and salt. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
3.Add the corn to the skillet with the remaining onion mixture and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro leaves.
4.In a small bowl mash the avocado with the remaining lime juice. In a medium bowl toss together the tomatoes, scallion and jalapeno, if using. Season tomato mixture with salt and pepper, to taste.
5.Spread the black bean dip into the bottom of an 8 by 8 glass baking or serving dish. Top with the corn mixture, spreading it out to form a single layer over the beans, repeat with the avocado, then the tomatoes. Top with cheese. Serve with baked chips.