This soup contains mushrooms, chorizo, potatoes and orzo pasta. The chorizo adds some spice and a very rich flavor to the soup. The mushrooms add a deep and earthy flavor and the the addition of pasta and potatoes makes this souop a full meal. This minestrone is utterly delicious and it is the perfect dish for a cold winter day.
Mushroom and Chorizo Minestrone
- 200 g / 7 oz peeled and sliced onions (approximately two medium sized onions)
- 375 g / 13.2 oz Desiree potatoes, peeled and cubed 2cm
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2tb s olive oil
- 200 g / 7 oz field mushrooms, sliced
- 100 g / 3.5 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 160 g / 5.6 oz chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 100 g / 3.5 oz chorizo, cut into 1cm pieces (the hard kind)
- 100 g / 3.5 oz orzo pasta
- 125ml / 0.5 cups white wine
- 1.2 L / 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1tbs chopped chives for serving
1.The most difficult task of this recipe is the preparation of the ingredients, it takes a bit of time, so pour yourself a glass of wine and take your time. Peel the onions and slice them through the root, like a cake, into thin slices. Peel and dice the potato into 2cm cubes and cut the chorizo sausage into 1cm pieces. Cut all the mushrooms into wedges as per the onions and crush the garlic.
2.Heat the oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat and sauté the onions, diced potato, salt and pepper, smoked paprika, all the mushrooms, chorizo and the crushed garlic until golden brown. Cover the pan with the lid for a few minutes while sautéing so that it does not take on too much colour, stir frequently to prevent sticking and burning. Do not be tempted to add more oil, the sautéing process takes about 8 - 10 minutes.
3.Add the orzo pasta and mix well.
4.Once you are happy with the amount of colouring deglaze the pan with the wine and cook until all the wine is absorbed.
5.Add the stock, cover the pan with a lid and bring the soup to a gentle simmer, stir frequently to prevent the pasta sticking to the base of the pan and gently simmer for 25 minutes over low heat.
6.Serve the piping hot soup with a sprinkling of chopped chives and warm freshly baked bread on the side.